A Match Made in Facebook…
Happy fourth quarter! End-of-year giving season is upon us, which also means we’re sneaking up on GivingTuesday. The Tuesday following Thanksgiving is one of the most influential giving days of the year when people invest in your mission and generosity is on full display.
Tuesday, November 30 will be here before we know it. So, we want to give you some advice on how to incorporate this global day of giving into your EOY campaigns and double your impact by taking advantage of Facebook’s $8M match. Let’s win over the hearts of donors and finish the year #nonprofittough!
Here are two important elements to make the most of GivingTuesday 2021:
1. Create a Facebook fundraiser.
Facebook is generously matching up to $8 million on our favorite Tuesday of the year. Starting at 8am, the race will be on to get your donations matched dollar-for-dollar before Facebook hits the $2 million mark. Then, for the remaining $6 million, Facebook will match 10% of donations.
For those of you who don’t like math (don’t worry, we don’t either!) think of it this way:
- If your donor makes their $10 donation right at 8am, Facebook will also give $10 to your fundraiser.
- If they miss the beginning of the day, Facebook will give $1 to match their $10 (only until the $8M runs out!)
Check out our GivingTuesday Cheat Sheet for more ideas and instructions on making the most of Facebook’s match.
2. Incorporate GivingTuesday into your fundraising strategy.
With the theme of thanksgiving already abounding throughout November, there’s no better time to start talking about GivingTuesday.
- Create a series of graphics to get your people excited about GivingTuesday (or borrow some from the GivingTuesday organization!) Make sure your supporters know how to give.
- Use stories, impact statistics and testimonials to remind your audience about your mission and inspire generosity on your social media throughout the month of November.
- Use the #GivingTuesday hashtag to increase your reach and make sure you stress the importance of your donors giving to your Facebook fundraiser right at 8am on November 30.
And, even if their donation isn’t matched by Facebook, we want to encourage generosity the entire day (and every day for that matter!) The match may end that morning – but the need isn’t going anywhere. Make sure your donors know they can still make a huge impact on your work by donating any amount at any point in time.
As always, reach out to us if you have questions about how to make the most of this GivingTuesday – or just questions about nonprofit marketing and fundraising communications in general! We can’t wait to cheer you on.