We believe people matter. And we know that often it’s the most vulnerable in our community whose needs multiply severely in times of emergency. That’s why we’ve proactively captured the ways our nonprofit partners need support as they prepare to serve our community during and after Hurricane Florence.
Below is information we’ve been alerted to regarding ways that our community can help our vulnerable neighbors during this natural disaster.
The Los Angeles Dream Center has dispatched a team bringing a truck load of supplies to Raleigh before the storm hits, and then will work with other local Dream Centers on the east coast to bring in supplies daily as needed. RDC will be staging these relief efforts at their future warehouse space located at RFA Church, 2660 Yonkers Rd.
Here’s how you can help:
- Help set up the warehouse on Thursday, September 13
- Organize a group to help prepare the supplies in the warehouse
- Help take the supplies out to meet the need
- Donate water, hygiene products, food and socks
Contact Jeremy Porras at (919) 867-4446 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The most needed items for disaster relief are:
- High-protein canned meals with pop-top cans (ravioli, soups, spaghetti)
- Paper goods and products (paper towels/plates/cups/napkins, plastic utensils)
- Hygiene products (shampoo, soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes, hand sanitizer, etc.)
- Single serving meals that do not require refrigeration or cooking/meals ready to eat
- Single serving snacks such as raisins & granola bars
- Peanut Butter
- Cleaning supplies and disinfectant wipes
Donations can be dropped at Food Bank distribution centers.
Haven House will distribute these items to families who don’t have the resources to “stock up” in advance of this storm. Here are a list of items that would be helpful:
- Peanut butter
- Canned meat: chicken, tuna, Spam
- Ready to eat soups, pasta, and rice
- Canned beans
- Canned fruit
- Granola bars
- Dried nuts, fruit, trail mix
- Instant oatmeal
- Milk, powdered or shelf-stable in single serving boxes
- Juice boxes
- Toilet paper
- Hand sanitizer
Donations can be dropped off at the Haven House offices at 600 W Cabarrus St. by 5pm Wednesday.
Raleigh Rescue Mission is in urgent need of these items:
- Bottled water
- Whole fruit
- Snack crackers
- Juice boxes
- Canned instant meals, such as stew, ravioli, etc.
Donations can be dropped off at the kitchen at 314 E. Hargett St.